Edward W. Jerdon
A Visionary for the Growth of Golf in Myrtle Beach 2013
Myrtle Beach was home to just 10 golf courses in the mid-1960s, but visionary builder Edward Jerdon saw a prosperous future for the sleepy beach community.
Jerdon, one of the most accomplished builders in the South, built and co-owned six Myrtle Beach area golf courses, helping jump-start the area's emergence as golf's most popular destination. Recognizing the untapped potential of the South Strand, Jerdon and his investors built Sea Gull Golf Club in 1965, paving the way for many great golf courses to follow in Pawleys Island. They also built and owned Quail Creek and the East and West courses at Burning Ridge, layouts that helped make Highway 501 a hotbed for golf. Jerdon was also the inspiration and effort behind Indian Wells Golf Club and International Club.
A New Jersey native, Jerdon moved to the area after completing a tour in the U.S. Army in 1955. Jerdon's influence extended beyond the courses he owned, which spoke to the respect he commanded within the community. He served as president of the Dunes Club and Surf Club, two of the Grand Strand's most prestigious clubs. In addition to his golf work, he also spearheaded the construction of numerous churches, schools and hotels.