Charles W. Byers, Jr.
Grand Strand Growth Champion 2011
Charles “Charlie” W. Byers moved to North Myrtle Beach in 1947. A founding member of the Dunes Golf and Beach Club, he is widely recognized as the smiling golfer in the front center of the famous July 8, 1961 cover of the Saturday Evening Post. One of five men to open the first golf club in North Myrtle Beach, The Surf Golf and Beach Club, he served two terms as its first president. Charlie then opened two more golf courses, Seagull Golf Club in Pawleys Island and Quail Creek Golf Club in Conway. He opened these despite criticism that “no one would drive that far from Myrtle Beach to play golf.” Based on the success of these courses, he developed Burning Ridge Golf Club, Indian Wells Golf Club and Crown Park, increasing the depth of golf on the Grand Strand. Charlie believed that the Grand Strand golf industry should cooperate for the betterment of Myrtle Beach as a whole. He was an important influence on the foundation of Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday which has successfully promoted and branded Myrtle Beach worldwide, increasing local business opportunities, area-wide employment, and the number of visiting golfers. He was also a force behind the creation of the Golf Course Owners Association.